The some of the largest religions include… Christianity , Islam, Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist, Hinduism, Chinese traditional religion, Buddhism, primal-indigenous, African Traditional & Diasporic, Sikhism, Juche, Spiritism, Judaism, Baha'I, Jainism, Shinto, Cao Dai, Zoroastrianism, Tenrikyo, Neo-Paganism, Unitarian-Universalism, Rastafarianism, and Scientology.
One thing we can know for sure, each of these religions vary in doctrine and practices. Their teachings range from Atheism that denies the existence of god, to the Wicca religion that teaches many gods exist. There are similar irreconcilable discrepancies between the religions in the area of man’s condition, salvation, the afterlife, and their founders.
As you study the basic differences between the beliefs of these religions, one thing becomes very clear… these religions contradict each other in almost all areas of their teachings. This establishes the fact that all but one of these religions must be based upon error.
Why do so many various religions exist? The Bible helps us to understand why these varied belief systems exist.
1) I charge [thee] therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2) Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3) For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4) And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
1) Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2) Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3) Forbidding to marry, [and commanding] to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1) Would to God ye could bear with me a little in [my] folly: and indeed bear with me.
2) For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present [you as] a chaste virgin to Christ.
3) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4) For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or [if] ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with [him]….
13) For such [are] false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14) And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15) Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
False religions have been with us from the beginning of time. In the very beginning, Adam and Eve were called upon to choose which set of spiritual truths they were to embrace and follow with their lives. Would they accept the truths that had been given to them from God or the lies that were told to them by Satan? We are all familiar with the choice that they had made and the affects of that choice upon all mankind.
Adam and Eve choose to submit to the teachings and desires of Satan. This represents the first act of human belief in a false religion….
2 Cor 11:3-4, 13-15
But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or [if] ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with [him]…… For such [are] false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
Since false religions have been with us from the Garden of Eden, as Christians, what are we to do? By remembering Adam and Eve’s sin, and its results, we are reminded of the devastating effects of following a false religion.
In 2nd Timothy 4:1-4, Paul writing to the young pastor, Timothy, gives timeless insight into false teachings and the religions that oppose the truth of the gospel of Christ. Paul’s instructions are so important for us all…
I charge [thee] therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ,
Remember, as Christians, we are given the responsibility to remain faithful to the truths of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
This same Lord that we serve, will someday judge both lost and saved, those who will be physically dead and those who will be alive at His coming. This means that all men will be held accountable for the choice they make concerning which God they will serve. The choice is plain, follow the teachings of Jehovah God and His Son the Lord Jesus Christ; or the teachings of the many false gods of this world, created, empowered and supported by Satan.
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
Timothy was to:
- proclaim the truth of God’s Word
- continue to be faithful in blessed times and in times of trial and heartache
- convince others of the truth
- correct the errors held by others
- encourage others to stand by the truths to which they held
- do all the above through the use of patience and the teachings of doctrinal truth.
These responsibilities not only apply to Timothy, nor to pastors in today’s time, but to all who hold to the truths and faith of Christ Jesus. We are to stand for the truth and work for it’s continuance and growth.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
Why is it so important for Christians to work for the propagation of the truth?
Because due to the sinful desires of mankind, the natural course of the fallen world is to reject the truth and follow after those who teach error. The doctrines of sin, man’s inability to gain salvation of his own merit, God’s grace, and salvation through Christ’s work alone, are a few of many truths that go against the lusts of the depraved human heart.
And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
When looked at from the light of God’s Word, fallen mankind is responsible, guilty, shameful, and unable to deliver themselves from their horrible condition. God’s Word presents a clear view of the wickedness of man contrasted by the love, grace and the ability of Almighty God. This is why lost mankind, apart from God’s gracious intervention, will reject the truths of His Word at every turn.
It is due to this desire of our fallen natures to hear fables that we have the false teachings of this world flourishing. It is much more pleasing to a fallen human heart to hear that they are not wicked and separated from a Holy God; or although sinful, they deserve salvation and can attain it through their own good works. These are the basic messages of the false religions of the day. These are the messages of error, that if followed, will condemn mankind to an eternity of separation from God in the Lake of Fire.
For those who are saved …
As the coming of Christ draws near, each of us must be on guard against allowing error to enter into our lives and beliefs. As Paul stated so clearly in 1 Timothy 4:1-2….
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; …
Turning from the truth to a false religion is proof of an imitation salvation experience and a mark of an unregenerate nature. In other words, if we find ourselves turning from the truth of God’s Word to a false religion, we can rest assured that our original salvation experience was a counterfeit. It only involved a mental acceptance of truth, without ever receiving a changed heart through the gracious workings of Christ.
For those who have yet to be saved...
In this blog posting, you have come face to face with a small portion of the Biblical teachings on the false religions of today. The motive behind God’s Word and this blog entry is the same. It is an attempt, motivated by love to warn those who have been deceived by the seducing spirits of this world and the fallen nature within each of us.
Please, look into the Word of the Lord and by faith, accept it’s truths. Trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, who He is and what He has done for His people. Look to Christ and receive salvation from your sins and eternal life with Him. If you would like more information about the teachings concerning the Lord Jesus Christ and the salvation He so graciously gives you have many options:
- Open His Word and read about Him
- If you are uncertain where to start in His Word you can take a look at my blog page “All About Salvation” to help get you started
- You can look at these links for more information:
- You can contact a Bible believing church. They will be glad to help you to understand what Christ has done for you
- Or, you are more than welcome to contact me through my email address email@example.com. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the Lord Jesus Christ and what He has done for you.
With the multiplicity of false religions, comes proof that the second coming of Christ is coming soon. Time is short. No one knows what tomorrow holds. Look to Jesus know while He is at work in your heart and you still have time. Don’t say as did the prophet Jeremiah…
20) The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.
To see this lesson taught on video please go to my Video Blog at http://www.youtube.com/settledinheaven
If you have any questions concerning this blog, or if you have a subject you would like discussed, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will answer all emails via my blog, email, or both.
Take A Look At My Wife’s Artistic/Scriptural Devotion Blog http://alivewithchristart.blogspot.com
Follow my Squidoo Instructional Lens “Presenting God’s Grace” “The Solemn Obligation To Present the Doctrines of Grace to the Lost and Saved Alike” http://www.squidoo.com/presenting-gods-grace
May the Lord bless your study of His Word. Like God’s Word… may your soul’s salvation and your life’s faithfulness be “Settled in Heaven.”