Saturday, February 2, 2013

“SIH’s Think On These Things: Isaiah 6:8b”

We now continue our devotional series on the two-fold calling (to salvation and to service) of Isaiah.  Remember in this series we will be looking to learn more about the One who is calling Isaiah, along with the nature of the calls and an examination of the submission to these calls by Isaiah…



Here we see Isaiah’s answer to the call of the Lord to service as a prophet…



Isa 6:8 …Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me..



Isaiah’s response to the call of His Lord is made up of two parts…



First, “Here am I” – In this short, three word phrase, Isaiah declares his absolute availability to do whatever the Lord may ask of him.  He did not say “Here am I if….” , there were no exceptions, there were no limits.  He simply stated “Here am I”.



Secondly, “Send me” – The Hebrew word translated “send”  is an action that involves “giving a commission” or “sending on a mission” or “assigning proper conduct”  In just two words, Isaiah declared his desire to receive directions from the Lord to lead him in the ministry to which he was called.  He didn’t say “Lord, I know what is best in this situation I’ll do it my way”.  No, he desired for the Lord to give him a specific mission with directions that would clarify the exact task at hand. 



What we have seen on display in the response of Isaiah are two of the most important aspects of Godly service …. availability and submission.  Throughout my life I have experienced personally, and seen in the lives of others great blessings and accomplishments when these two aspects of service are exercised by the servant of God.  Likewise, many times I have experienced and seen failure when either of these two attributes were missing from the lives of those involved in ministry.   



Folks, I cannot overstress these issues.  We MUST be willing to do whatever He would ask of us and we MUST be willing to do things His way, following His directions.  If we fulfill His calling in according to His directions we will move forward the cause of Christ, all for His glory  (Jer 7:23-24) …



“But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.  (24)  But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.”



May the Lord bless us as we “Think On These Things”.






No comments:

Post a Comment