Thursday, November 11, 2010

Getting Acquainted With God (Part #1)

To be “acquainted” with someone is an interesting concept.  Basically, the term “acquainted” refers to getting used to someone.  Or perhaps, a better way to express the thought is “to attune your self to another’s thoughts, feelings and actions”.   

Remember the old Newlywed Game TV show?  It aired back in the 60s and 70s with host Bob Eubanks.  I used to watch the show all the time.  It involved taking 4 pairs of newlyweds and asking them a variety of questions to see how well they knew each other.  At times, some of their answers were hilarious.  In some cases, one of the spouses would answer a question in the exact opposite way as their spouse.  How embarrassing!  It was as if they were admitting to everyone watching the show that they really didn’t know their spouse very well at all.   For a quick peek at the show, take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4DD_OyT-sQ





As impossible as it might seem, God’s Word tells us that we can become acquainted with Almighty God! Can you imagine what it is like to have lives attuned with the Sovereign Creator of all?  Let’s see what the Bible has to say…

In part 1 of our study we will see how and why we acquaint ourselves with God.

In part 2 of our study we will begin a journey to acquaint ourselves with God.

THE SCRIPTURE:

Acquaint now thyself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come unto thee. (Job 22:21)

THE STUDY:

It is through Christ that we can become acquainted with God the Father…

“Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.” (Joh 14:8-11)

When Christ was on the earth, mankind had a living and breathing revelation of God amongst them.  They could watch the actions of Christ and hear the words of Christ, which would allow them to become acquainted with the Father.   However, now that Christ is no longer physically present with us on the earth, how can we learn about Christ; and in doing so, become acquainted with the Father?...

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.  (Joh 5:39)

 We can read the Word of God and learn about Christ and His life on earth.  The Old Testament is filled with prophecies and symbolism revealing Christ; likewise, the gospels in the New Testament are written records of His life on earth, while the remaining portions of the New Testament helps to explain in more detail what Christ taught and did while on the earth.  

The key to becoming acquainted with the Father is by becoming acquainted to Christ through the Word of God.   The Word is the only reliable source of knowledge about Christ and The Father.  

(Please note: It is possible to learn about God through the experiences in our lives.  However, MUCH CARE must be taken in our interpretation of our life events.   For example, following being tempted, I could say… “I have now learned that God tempts people, because I have been tempted.”  However, by interpreting my life experience through the lens of the Scripture, I come to realize that God does not tempt any man but it was a combination of my lust, Satan, or the sinful world that caused the temptation - James 1:13-14. 

We MUST ALWAYS interpret any life event within the context of Holy Scripture.  This is of great significance.  The Bible must take priority over any life event that may seem to teach us a lesson about God.  If we do not do this, we can come to gross misunderstandings about how God works.  In the worst scenario, these misunderstandings lead to heretical teachings and the misleading of those who are sincerely attempting to acquaint themselves with their God.

I have found that it is a much safer practice to refer to the Word for all my knowledge about My Lord and the Father.  I have NEVER learned anything from my life experiences about the workings of God that the Word has not clearly declared.  My life experiences simply affirm what the Word says about my Lord.  As I learn more from His Word, I begin to see more of His intervention in my life.)

THE PRACTICAL APPLICATION

For the Christian….

A life attuned to God, is an absolute necessity for us to live a victorious life for Him.  As our text brings forth… if we are acquainted with Him, both peace and good (or grace) will accompany our life here on earth.  With peace, we can withstand the must violent storms that life can bring our way.  With grace we can be assured of victory in our spiritual battles, as well as continued the strength to serve in any way in which we are called.  Paul understood the importance of grace and peace for the Christian’s life. That is Paul wishes His readers “grace and peace” on many separate occasions. (Roms 1:7; 1 Cor 1:3, 2 Cor 1:2, Gal 1:3, Eph 1:2, Phil 1:2, Col 1:2,  1 Thess 1:1, 2 Thess 1:2,  1 Tim 1:2,  2 Tim 1:2,  Tit 1:4, Phlm 1:3)

 By becoming increasing familiar with His Word, through study (Acts 17:10-11), meditating (1 Tim 4:13-15), and memorization (Psa 119:11), we can learn much of our Lord Jesus Christ and God our Heavenly Father.

For those who have never trusted in Christ…

The first step to developing a close walk with the Lord is by trusting in Jesus Christ as your Savior.  By coming to a point of acknowledgement of the sin in your life, and your inability to do anything to bring about the forgiveness of your sin, you will realize your only hope is in Christ.

Then by placing your spiritual well-being into the hands of the Lord, He will intervene in your life, grant repentance and give you the ability to understand His Word.  This is the first step that is necessary for you to walk closely with your God. (Isa 55:6-7, 2 Cor 3:13-17)

[polldaddy poll=4072922]

---------------------------------------------------------------


To see this lesson taught on video please go to my Video Blog at  http://www.youtube.com/settledinheaven

If you have any questions concerning this blog, or if you have a subject you would like discussed, please feel free to email me at settledinheaven@gmail.com.    I will answer all emails via my blog, email, or both.

Take A Look At My Wife’s Artistic/Scriptural Devotion Blog http://alivewithchristart.blogspot.com

Follow my Squidoo Instructional Lens “Presenting God’s Grace” “The Solemn Obligation To Present the Doctrines of Grace to the Lost and Saved Alike” http://www.squidoo.com/presenting-gods-grace

May the Lord bless your study of His Word.  Like God’s Word… may your soul’s salvation and your life’s faithfulness be “Settled in Heaven.”

----------------------------------------------------

6 comments:

  1. Hi brother Rob:

    It reminds me that the bible, God's word is like a compass and without it, we are lost in the world and the thing about it is that it always points us back to Christ. Even the old testament prophets have written about Him. And the signs of the time are pointing to His emminent return.

    Blessings,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul,
    Amen to everything you have said brother... it seems as that if His coming is close we need His word now more than ever. Thanks for the input. May the Lord continue to bless you. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with so much that you have said. I always tell people that to be able to have a complete personal relationship with God they must read His Word. No one can know Him except by His Word. They can see the evidence of His being in when we are blessed, the wind, flowers, all of His creation, but to Know Him they have to read first hand from those who He inspired to write His Words. People need to pray. This is when He gets down and personal in their spirit. How much closer can He be? He talks to people in their spirits. Of course they also have to have quiet time to listen. I used to be guilty of saying "I pray and God never talks to me! He never answers my prayers. The problem wasn't God, it was me. I wouldn't let Him get a word in edgewise! I would ask Him all kinds of things, and was busy with I NEED, I NEED, but never would listen. Oh, I'm sure that He was answering my prayers, I just didn't realize it because I didn't hear Him. I finally learned this, slowed down on the I need part a little bit and started listening. It was then that I started noticing His answers to my prayers more, hearing His omniscient advice, and even noticed blessings more. All because I let HIM speak to me. Then, we must Live for Him. If we say we believe, yet we don't live for Him and do as He wants us to, we are no better than Pharisees. What is it that He says? People will cry LORD, LORD, and I will say depart from me for I knew you not? This is talking about those who "talk the talk, but do not walk the walk.

    I sure am glad you don't mind me "preaching" or talking so much. You sir are a blessing to me and all of your other readers as well.
    God Bless,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. PJ,
    Thanks for emphasizing the need of prayer and a spirit that is receptive to His leadership. I didn't mention these, but they are definately keys to coming to a proper understanding of the Word. I'm afraid we all fail in that at one time or another.

    Over the years, I, too, have had several Christians tell me that God doesn't hear or answer their prayers. I'm afraid, in most of those cases, as you say, they are not really listening and watching for His workings. Or, perhaps what they meant to say was... "God didn't answer my prayer, the way I thought He would". Our Lord does hear the prayers of His people... but He always answers our prayers in a way that works out for our good, not necessarily what we think is for our good. There is a big difference between the two.

    One of my professors used to always tell us that the Lord ALWAYS answers the prayers of His people; His answer might be "Yes", or maybe "No", or perhaps, "Not yet", but in any case... He always answers them. I think my professor was a wise man. Since being out of school, I have heard many others say the same thing about the Lord answering prayer; I think most of us have experienced all three of His answers at one time or another in our lives.

    Thanks again for your comments and your blog, PJ, they are a blessing to us all.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well put. The Bible (among other things) is God's revelation of Himself to mankind, culminating with His final and complete revelation in Jesus Christ. The only way to know Him is through His Word, and once we have a relationship with Him, it is through the Word that we develop and grow.

    Our experiences DO increase our knowledge of Him and DO assist our growth, but these experiences will ALWAYS be in tune with His Word and the principles of His will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't have said it better myself.... thanks for your comment and your blog, I really enjoy reading it... May the Lord continue to bless you!

    ReplyDelete