Saturday, July 30, 2011

I Am The Lord: That Is My Name

On a recent broadcast of the “In Touch” TV program (www.intouch.org), I heard a song entitled “God Of The Ages”.   It is a beautiful, Scriptural song (it is based upon Colossians chapter 1) declaring our Lord as the God of the Ages.

 





 As I listened to this song it brought to my mind the following verses from Isa 42:…

 Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein: I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, I [am] the LORD: that [is] my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.







Let’s take a few minutes to see what these verses of Scripture teach us about our wonderful Lord and Savior!

 THE SCRIPTURES:

 Isa 42:5-12 (KJV)

5) Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

6) I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

7) To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, [and] them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

8) I [am] the LORD: that [is] my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

9) Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.

10) Sing unto the LORD a new song, [and] his praise from the end of the earth, ye that go down to the sea, and all that is therein; the isles, and the inhabitants thereof.

11) Let the wilderness and the cities thereof lift up [their voice], the villages [that] Kedar doth inhabit: let the inhabitants of the rock sing, let them shout from the top of the mountains.

12) Let them give glory unto the LORD, and declare his praise in the islands.

 THE STUDY:

Isaiah’s Description of the Lord…

 Isa 42:5-12 (KJV)

Before Isaiah delivers God’s message to the people of Judah, he emphasizes the greatness of the author of this message….

 5) Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

 Isaiah emphasizes three workings of this great God…

 1)   He is Creator of All  - he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that  spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it

2)   He gives us Physical Life - he that giveth breath unto the people upon it

3)   He gives us Spiritual Life. - and spirit to them that walk therein:

 What This Lord Has Done For Us (By Sending Christ on Our Behalf)…

 Isaiah now delivers God’s message to the people.  The message beings with a reminder of all the Lord has done for us when He sent His Son to save us…

6) I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

7) To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, [and] them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

 The Workings of the Father IN the Son…

1)   The sinlessness of His Son – I the LORD have called thee in righteousness,

2)   The Father’s accompanying of His Son – and will hold thine hand,

3)   The Father’s protection of His Son - and will keep thee,

 The Workings of the Father THROUGH the Son…

1)   The Father’s eternal plan of salvation based upon the work of the Son - and give thee for a covenant of the people,

2)   The Father’s giving of Truth through the Son - for a light of the Gentiles; To open the blind eyes,

3)   The Father’s liberation from sin’s bondage through the Son - to bring out the prisoners from the prison, [and] them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

 How Can We Show Him Our Appreciation?....

 Based on who He is and what He has done for us in sending Christ on our behalf;  how do we show Him our appreciation?

 

1)    By putting Him first in our lives… I [am] the LORD: that [is] my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

  1. “Lord” – Master, Ruler, Authority Holder 


2)    By recognizing His greatness -  Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare:

3)    By recognizing what He does for us - Before they spring forth I tell you of them.

4)    By verbally declaring His greatness and workings to all mankind, everywhere - Sing unto the LORD a new song, [and] his praise from the end of the earth, ye that go down to the sea, and all that is therein; the isles, and the inhabitants thereof.  Let the wilderness and the cities thereof lift up [their voice], the villages [that] Kedar doth inhabit: let the inhabitants of the rock sing, let them shout from the top of the mountains.

5)    Making Him shine in the eyes of others through our actions - Let them give glory unto the LORD, and declare his praise in the islands.

  1. Glory – to give great importance to

  2. Praise – to make shine in the eyes of others 


PRACTICAL APPLICATION:

For those who have received the Lord’s gracious offer of salvation, let us serve Him with our whole heart realizing what a great God we serve.

Now that we have seen how our Gracious, Loving Heavenly Father has sent His Son to the earth for the sake of His people…. Our need is to accept this message by faith and turn to the Lord to receive forgiveness and spiritual life.

If you have any questions about salvation, I have a tab available on my blog that gives in depth information on what salvation is and what you must do to be saved.  Please click on this link for more information about salvation.

If you continue to have questions or concerns about your salvation, find a Bible-believing church in your area.  The Pastor would be glad to share Christ and the way of salvation with you.   If you feel more comfortable communicating through email, you are always welcome to email me at settledinheaven@gmail.com

May the Lord bless you as you seek His truth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------


My Main Blog “Settled In Heaven” (updated twice weekly) – http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com

The following are other places you can find “Settled In Heaven” blog (updated once per month):

www.settledinheavenbibleblog.posterous.com

www.settledinheavenblog.blogspot.com

To see this lesson taught on video please go to my Video Blog at  http://www.youtube.com/settledinheaven

If you have any questions concerning this blog, or if you have a subject you would like discussed, please feel free to email me at settledinheaven@gmail.com.    I will answer all emails via my blog, email, or both.

Take A Look At My Wife’s Artistic/Scriptural Devotion Blog http://alivewithchristart.blogspot.com

 Follow my Squidoo Instructional Lens “Presenting God’s Grace” “The Solemn Obligation To Present the Doctrines of Grace to the Lost and Saved Alike” http://www.squidoo.com/presenting-gods-grace

 May the Lord bless your study of His Word.  Like God’s Word… may your soul’s salvation and your life’s faithfulness be “Settled in Heaven.” 

8 comments:

  1. Hey Rob! It was so good to hear from you again. I think we all struggle with that particular sin. As the old saying goes, "out of sight out of mind". I only speak for myself of course, but I know I need to make a CONSCIOUS EFFORT to remember to that only He has the power to take care of my problems and issues properly. The more I try, the worse they get, but I also know how hard it is to relinquish control to someone you cannot see in the physical sense. Thank you for your reply and God Bless! By the way, how are you liking your job? I hope it is everything you hoped it would be and more.
    God Bless,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. PJ,

    Thanks for the coment. Yeh, the job is doing ok... it is taking care of my famiys needs and it has opened several good opportunites to serve Him. It's all AI could dare ask for.

    Lord bless you.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] I Am The Lord: That Is My Name (via ) Posted on July 30, 2011 by wdednh On a recent broadcast of the “In Touch” TV program (www.intouch.org), I heard a song entitled “God Of The Ages”.   It is a beautiful, Scriptural song (it is based upon Colossians chapter 1) declaring our Lord as the God of the Ages.    As I listened to this song it brought to my mind the following verses from Isa 42:…  “Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out … Read More [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for including my blog postingless us with on your blog. May the Lord continue to bless us with His truths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many times I have kept Isaiah 42:6 and 41:13 in the forefront of my mind as I've struggled with a "circumstance". I have visualised the mighty God actually holding my hand and helping me and it has made all the difference - not just in a "lucky charm" sort of way - but in the REALITY of the faithfulness of His promise.

    What an amazing God!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela,

    I couldn't have said it better myself... He truly is an amazing God!

    Lord bless you.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rob,

    I enjoyed the lesson, and the video was great! That is a beautiful song! Our God truly is an awesome God!

    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paulette,

    Thanks so much for the kind comments... we certainly do serve a great God.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete