The next miracle in our series is Healing The Bethsaida Blind Man …This miracle is recorded for us in Mark 8:22-26
In this miraculous healing by Christ, we have a very different method used to perform this healing from all the others we have studied so far. Note how the performance of this miracle is described: “And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought. And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking. After that he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, and saw every man clearly.”
One of the obvious questions that comes to mind is Why? Why, did He choose to heal this man in such an unorthodox way? It is obvious, Christ could have simply spoken the Word and this man would have been healed but He did it another way. The Bible does not address why He did things this way, all I can do is share with you what has been placed on my heart without being able to “prove” this is His purpose through the Scriptures.
I believe that the method Christ employed in this healing is representative of His work of salvation. This work of salvation results in the lost man’s spiritually blinded eyes being opened and understanding of the things of God.
Let’s take each point one at a time:
- This man is brought to Christ by others… the evangelization of this lost man by Christians.
- This man is blind … his blindness to the things of God.
- The desire of those who bring him is for Christ to touch him…. Christians are unable to save the lost but must totally rely on Christ’s intervention.
- Christ takes the hand of the blind man and leads him out of town – Christ now begins to work in this man life bringing him to Himself by removing all the hindrances of the lost world.
- Christ spit on his eyes… the application of the Word (proceeding from His mouth)
- Christ put His hands upon him …. The operation of the Spirit applying the Word
- He asked him if he saw as he ought …. Christ shows the man his spiritual need as the Word is received MENTALLY and begins to take effect in His life.
- He answers he saw men as trees walking …. a lost man who has received God’s word sees his need and the remedy Christ, without actually being given clear sight and understanding. This is how Christ called us prior to salvation, through conviction and the revelation of Himself.
- Christ then touches Him, rubbing in the spittle… the effectual call to salvation, as Christ applies the Word to the HEART and SPIRIT, bringing us to Himself and working repentance and belief.
- This man now sees clearly… picturing the opening of his blinded eyes, as a new creature in Christ, able to understand and clearly see the things of God in His Word.
If we are saved, let us stop and think back to our salvation experience and how the Lord intervened in our lives and brought us to Himself. Let us praise and honor Him for working His GREATEST of miracles in our hearts.
If you have never received God’s gracious salvation… look to Him through His Word, come to Him realizing you have sinned and can do nothing to gain salvation of your own merit. Turn from your sin and place your trust in Him. Accept Him not only as your Savior, but the Lord of your life as well. This is what genuine, God-given salvation is all about.
May the Lord bless each one of us as we “Think On These Things”.
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: firstname.lastname@example.org