The next miracle in our series is Healing the woman with the issue of blood …This miracle is recorded for us in Matt 9:18-19, Mark 5:22-24, Luke 8:41-42, 49-56.
Following the healing of the demoniacs, the Lord is now approached by Jairus, a ruler of the synagogue (president of the board of elders that cared for synagogue). Jairus had a 12 year old daughter that was ill and at the point of death. Jarius asked Christ, “I pray thee, come and lay thy hands on her, that she may be healed; and she shall live. “ Christ responded to his request “, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.” During their discussion, a servant from Jairus’ house came telling him that his daughter had died. At this news, Jairus speaks to Christ saying “My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live. “
Jesus began to follow Jairus to his home, His disciples and the multitude followed Him. When He entered the house He allowed only Peter, James, John and the girls’ parents to follow Him. Those, already inside, who had gathered to mourn the girls’ passing, began to weep and sorrow over the young girl’s death. Their mourning turned to laughter and mockery as Christ tells them “Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth”. (He described this dead girl as sleeping because He knew that she would be given life and arise from her bed much like someone who was simply sleeping). After sending the mockers out of the house, He took the young girl by the hand and said “Maid, arise”. We are told that “her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat”. This miracle resulted in her parents being “astonished”. Christ told them not to tell anyone of this great event.
In this miracle, we can see the great power of Christ, the Son of God, on display. But we also see the various responses to Christ and His works. In this one event, we find the three basic responses of mankind…
1. Faith – This is seen in the life of Jairus and the disciples of Christ
2. Curiosity – We see this response in the multitudes that followed Christ to the home of Jairus
3. Mockery and Scorn – As seen in the mourners in the house who laughed at Christ’s declaration.
As we go about our day today, most of us will run across a variety of people, each of which will hold to these representative views of Christ and His Word. Our interaction with those around us should vary based upon their differing attitudes…
- For those who are of faith, our fellow believers, we should have strengthening words helping them to become, or remain consistent servants of Christ. They need our ENCOURAGEMENT.
- For those who are curious, we should be ready to tell them of Christ and all He has done for us and what He can do for them. They need our VERBAL TESTAMONY.
- For those who are mockers of our Lord, we are to be ready to be tested. We will need to trust the Lord for our patience, understanding and love to help us remain faithful to Him while being a witness of His grace and glory. They need our CONSISTENT, HOLY LIVING.
May the Lord bless each one of us as we “Think On These Things”.
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: email@example.com