The healing of the man with the withered hand is the next miracle in our series…This miracle is recorded for us in Luke 7:11-17.
In the record of this miracle that our Lord performed, we find Him, as He entered the city of Nain, seeing the funeral procession of the only son of a widow. As He looked at the participants in the procession we are told that when he saw the widow, “ he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not.” The account continues… “And he came and touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. And he said, Young man, I say unto thee, Arise. And he that was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he delivered him to his mother.
This miracle resulted in a five-fold response by the people who viewed this great event:
- And there came a fear on all – they became alarmed and terrified seeing a yong man who was dead arising and speaking. We all can understand this panic. If we had seen this same event we all would be frightened as well. But also they found a new reverence for this man Christ as they recognized God in His person.
- and they glorified God, - they recognized that this was an act that could only have been brought about by God Himself. (Deut 32:39) They gave Him the credit and praise for this resurrection.
- saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; - they describe His association with the Father as a prophet. Why? Keep in mind, this young man was raised by the words that were spoken by Christ; they came to understand the authority and power that was being exhibited by His words. It was obvious that He must be speaking the very words of God, the only one who controls life and death.
- and saying… That God hath visited his people. they recognized Jesus as God Himself. Here, they are attributing the person of Christ with God coming down from heaven and visiting with mankind.
- And this rumour of him went forth throughout all Judaea, and throughout all the region round about. – The last result of this indescribable miracle was that news about Christ and His workings did not stop within the southern division of Israel, but continued to spread throughout the entire region.
Through this one miracle we find Christ’s deity on display to all. By faith, as we trust the Word’s record of this grand event, we find a highlighting of, and a renewed assurance in, our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, as God Himself, the One who controls both physical and spiritual life.
Let us praise Him today for gracing us with both our spiritual and physical life.
May the Lord bless each one of us as we “Think On These Things”.
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: firstname.lastname@example.org