Monday, August 18, 2014

SIH’s Think On These Things: Psalms 27:10

SIH TOTT ICONPsalms 27: [A Psalm] of David. The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD [is] the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?When the wicked, [even] mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this [will] I [be] confident. One [thing] have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD. Hear, O LORD, [when] I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.[When thou saidst], Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Hide not thy face [far] from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up. Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.[I had fainted], unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.  
As we will see in our series, King David addresses many of the same issues that each and every one of us faces when we are in the midst of the most difficult, fearful situations of life. May the Lord honor this study in His Word, by granting to us the truths of this Psalm and their practical application to our life.  
EXPOSITION:  
In our text for today, David now continues his prayer coming before the Lord with his requests…   Psa 27:10 KJV When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.      

When my father and my mother forsake me,
The relationship between a parent and a child should be one of the closest, loving relationships that can be found among mankind. After all, the Lord has given parents the responsibility to protect, train, discipline and support their children in every way possible, for the good of the child and the glory of the Lord.  
During the course of David’s life, which included facing many difficult fearful times, he had learned that even his parents were unable, or unwilling to fulfill their responsibilities. The greater lesson to be learned from this statement is that the closest of allies can, and will, fail us…
Put not your trust in princes, [nor] in the son of man, in whom [there is] no help.His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.(Psalms 146:3-4)     then the LORD will take me up.
Keep in mind, the natural inclination of parents should be to come to the aid of their children and giving their all to protect, encourage and strengthen them. How much more does that hold true with our heavenly Father? The Lord, alone, is our perfect refuge in times of need…    
I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, [and set me] in a large place. The LORD [is] on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? The LORD taketh my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see [my desire] upon them that hate me.[It is] better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.(Psalms 118:5-8)  
Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.” Psa 103:13 KJV    
APPLICATION:  
In this devotional for this morning, we can see that David understood the dangers inherent in trusting in mankind during the fearful times of our lives. Because of the fallen nature of man, we can never fully trust them to always work for our good. Not so with our Lord. Our Lord alone will work perfectly on our behalf, loving us, caring for us, and protecting us, while we are yet in the midst of the storms of life.  
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, [He is] my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, [and] from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth [shall be thy] shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; [nor] for the arrow [that] flieth by day;[Nor] for the pestilence [that] walketh in darkness; [nor] for the destruction [that] wasteth at noonday.A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; [but] it shall not come nigh thee. Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.(Psalms 91:1-8)  
May we always look to our Lord in times of great distress and upheaval, knowing that He, alone, is our certain refuge in the storm.  
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: settledinheaven@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment