Tuesday, August 19, 2014

SIH’s Think On These Things: Psalms 27:11

SIH TOTT ICONPsalms 27: [A Psalm] of David. The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD [is] the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?When the wicked, [even] mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this [will] I [be] confident. One [thing] have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD. Hear, O LORD, [when] I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.[When thou saidst], Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Hide not thy face [far] from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up. Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.[I had fainted], unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.  
As we will see in our series, King David addresses many of the same issues that each and every one of us faces when we are in the midst of the most difficult, fearful situations of life. May the Lord honor this study in His Word, by granting to us the truths of this Psalm and their practical application to our life.  
EXPOSITION:  
In our text for today, David now continues his prayer coming before the Lord with his requests…  
Psa 27:11 KJV “Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.”   “Teach me thy way, O LORD,
David now requests the Lord to “teach me thy way”. Please notice that David did not say” teach me the way to get out of this situation”, no, all he desired was to be shown the path the Lord would have him to take, whether it would end in removal from his situation, or cause him to remain in it.  All he wanted was to fulfill the Lord’s will for his life.    
and lead me in a plain path,
David wanted the Lord to lead him on a path that was clear and straight. In other words, he wanted the Lord’s path to be easy to see and walk upon so that there was no chance of him accidently getting off the course the Lord had laid for his life.  
Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips [shall be] right things.For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness [is] an abomination to my lips. All the words of my mouth [are] in righteousness; [there is] nothing froward or perverse in them.They [are] all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.(Proverbs 8:6-9)      
because of mine enemies.”
David was very concerned about his testimony before others, especially his enemies. David’s desire was to be able to easily follow the Lord’s path for his life so that he might not fall into temptation and fall into sin, giving his enemies a reason to accuse him and bring dishonor to David and the Lord that he served.  
Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.Deliver me, O LORD, from mine enemies: I flee unto thee to hide me.Teach me to do thy will; for thou [art] my God: thy spirit [is] good; lead me into the land of uprightness.(Psalms 143:8-10)    
APPLICATION:  
One of the great burdens upon David’s heart during his time in the midst of the fearful events of his life, was the need to keep the Lord’s will and retain a good testimony in the eyes of others. David knew for this to happen, the Lord would have to intervene in his life, show him His will clearly, and enable him to fulfill that will.   When faced with the fearful times of life, may we all keep our attention fixed on the Lord and His will for our lives, seeking to honor and glorify Him in all that we do.  
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: settledinheaven@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment