Friday, August 15, 2014

SIH’s Think On These Things: Psalms 27:9

SIH TOTT ICONPsalms 27: [A Psalm] of David. The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD [is] the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?When the wicked, [even] mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this [will] I [be] confident. One [thing] have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD. Hear, O LORD, [when] I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.[When thou saidst], Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Hide not thy face [far] from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up. Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.[I had fainted], unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.  

As we will see in our series, King David addresses many of the same issues that each and every one of us faces when we are in the midst of the most difficult, fearful situations of life. May the Lord honor this study in His Word, by granting to us the truths of this Psalm and their practical application to our life.  

EXPOSITION:  

In our text for today, David now continues his prayer by making more specific requests of Him…   Psa 27:9 KJV Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.    

Hide not thy face far from me;

Request #4: The Lord to continue to reveal Himself to David.

David desired the Lord to reveal Himself to David during this time of fear. The more David could see the Lord’s greatness, wisdom, strength and glory in his life, the less scared he would be. Previously, David had asked the Lord to allow him to see the Lord at work in His life. Now David is asking the Lord to allow him to see His Person as an encouragement to David.  

 

put not thy servant away in anger:

Request #5: The Lord to remain close to David, withholding His anger by forgiving him of is sin.

“Lord do not turn away from me in anger due to my sin”.  David is requesting the Lord’s forgiveness for any sin he has committed, thus assuring the Lord’s closeness in his time of need. During the fearful times of our life, it is so important for us to know that we are forgiven, and eternally secure based upon the work of Christ on the cross. In doing so, we are assured of His never-ending love and presence in our lives…

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? [shall] tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”   (Romans 8:35-39)  

 

thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

Request #6:

The Lord to not abandon or turn away from David David recalls the many times the Lord had given him aid during times of trials or granted him deliverance from them. David recognized his weaknesses during those trying times of life. But he also recognized the Lord’s ability to ALWAYS strengthen those areas of need. Now David asks the Lord to accompany him, realizing his great need of the Lord as he walked down this fearful path of life.  

 

APPLICATION:

In our look at David’s requests to the Lord during the fearful times of life, we have seen David’s many requests…

#1: The Lord to “hear” his requests. #2: The Lord’s mercy to be shown to David #3: The Lord to answer the requests of David #4: The Lord to reveal Himself to David. #5: The Lord to withholding His anger by forgiving David’s sin. #6: The Lord to not abandon or turn away from David

But it the midst of all these requests, David determined to desire, and then accept, the Lord’s will for his life.   Please note that all of the above requests, we can see David’s great desire for the Lord’s continuing presence and intervention in His life during this fearful time. David has yet to verbalize specific requests concerning the current situation he was facing.  

This speaks volumes to us about what David considered his most important needs. His greatest need was not to be delivered from His enemies…. It was to be certain the Lord was with Him. His most fervent desires did not center on his assurance of deliverance from his trials, but his assurance of the Lord’s protective intervention in his life.  

What a wonderful example and testimony David is leaving for us in this Psalm. To put it very simply, David is saying…. Our greatest need is life is not comfort nor an easing of our trials… it is Christ’s presence in our lives!  

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence [is] fulness of joy; at thy right hand [there are] pleasures for evermore.(Psalms 16:11)      

SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org

SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/

SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/

SIH Email: settledinheaven@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment