Thursday, February 2, 2012

SIH’s Think On These Things: Psa 23:4b

(Psa 23:4b)  thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Shepherds used their rod to fight off any threatening animals that were trying to harm members of their flock.  They used the staff to aid them in walking and to lift trapped or crippled animals from otherwise inaccessible areas.  What a wonderful picture of our Lord’s care of His people!

The Lord’s protection of us, and His help in our daily walk, is a source of great comfort for those of us who are dedicated to His service. Let’s thank Him today for His never-ending attention and gracious intervention in our lives. 

May the Lord bless each one of us as we “Think On These Things”.

Settled In Heaven Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org                           Settled In Heaven Email: settledinheaven@gmail.com                                                   SIH Salvation Blog Page: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/

5 comments:

  1. We experience this so many times. We cannot explain WHY this or that happened just WHEN it did, but we praise God because we KNOW it was His intervention - His care/rescue. Unbelievers are surprised and call it 'luck' but we KNOW it was our Shepherd.

    What an awesome God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Rob Barkman at http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/ Rob is genuine in his desire to help us with detailed explanation of the principles of the Scriptures. Recently Rob also started a wonderful series of short devotions SIH’s Think On These Things  [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rob! This may sound strange, but the first thing that pops into my mind when someone mentions the word staff in that vernacular is how they would pull someone off the stage in "slap stick comedy. In other words if the person wouldn't get off the stage themselves, someone would pull them off, or in a sense "lead them in the right direction with firmness. Sorry, that's just the way my mind works. Sometimes I think that's what God HAS to do with us, because we have so many "worldly things pulling us in different directions. I think He has to use the staff to get us back on track. Strange way of looking at it, I know.
    I also want to say I will be off the internet for a week. (Until we get back from vacation, because it is too expensive on the ship. They want 75 cents per minute for the internet! OUTRAGEOUS! Talk about a racket! Anyway, I'll have lots of pictures and lots to say about our vacation when I get back, I'm sure.
    God Bless!
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela,

    You bring up a VERY good point htat I have yet to address in my blog. Many times, the world can see God working and not recognize it is His hand at work. But His people, recognize and give credit to Him when they see HIs workingson their behalf. I believe this is one of many marks of a true Christian. Seeing the hand of His father at work and giving Him the glory for it.

    May the Lord bless you,

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. PJ,

    First of all.... have a GREAT time on vaca... I'm sure you are really looking forward to it.

    I really liked your thoughts on using the hooked staff to get people off stage... I agree with you that the Lord moves us in the direction he would have us to go in a similar fashion. I've found in my life... I can either do what He wants willingly, or gradually, the His pressure increases until I finally do what He wants me to anyhow. There are times I feel like a modern-day Jonah... but I'm really working on being more submissive as He begins to gently lead me.

    I thank Him for being patient and persistent with me.

    Enjoy PJ... will talk to you when you get back.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete