Thursday, May 9, 2013

“A Month of Thankfulness” Devotional Series (Day 9)


The LORD [is] my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer

SIH’s Think On These Things: Psa 18:2

 

Ps 18:2 (KJV)

2) The LORD [is] my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, [and] my high tower.

 

In this morning’s text we read about the absolute security that we have in Christ…

 

The LORD [is] my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, [and] my high tower.

Here, King David writes a Psalm attempting to motivate others to trust in the Lord.  David gives our Lord 8 different titles, all of which emphasize the Lord’s reliability in many different aspects of our lives.    In the midst of these titles, David reminds us that he is following his own advice as he trusts in the Lord … “in whom I will trust”.

 

Our Lord’s reliability is clearly presented in a parable that was taught by Christ in Matt 7:24-27…

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.  And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

 

We may be tempted to ask why His reliability is accentuated throughout both the Old and New Testaments.  Although I’m sure it is done for many reasons, I am confident one of the main reasons is to underscore that He can be TOTALLY relied upon as the Source, and Sustainer of our salvation.  Folks, not only does our Great Lord DELIVER us from the judgment of our sins, but He also KEEPS us secure in Him, so that we will never lose our salvation…

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand.  My Father, which gave [them] me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand.  (John 10:27-29)

And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:39-40)

 

For those who have been saved by His wonderful grace, let us be ever thankful we can trust in Him to keep us secure throughout eternity. His reliability allows us to know with certainty we are forgiven, removed from under God’s wrath, and will live an eternity with Him.  No exceptions…  None.

 

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.  Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. (Rom 8:29-30)

 

May the Lord bless us as we “Think On These Things”.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment