Sunday, September 22, 2013

“SIH’s Think On These Things: Proverbs 8:17-21”


He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous (Prov 2:7)

Wisdom’s Appeal: Her Benefits: Prov 8:17-21
17) I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.
18) Riches and honour [are] with me; [yea], durable riches and righteousness.
19) My fruit [is] better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.
20) I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment:
21) That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.


INTRODUCTION:
The next set of Proverbs outlines some of the great benefits that come to those who secure wisdom and incorporate it into their day to day living.

EXPOSITION:

17) I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.
Self-sacrifice is a necessary part of our search for wisdom.  But we can count on the fact that any sacrifice we make will always be worth it….
1. When someone loves wisdom to the point of self-sacrifice, when they willing to give all to obtain her, she responds in like kind, bringing to them the exceeding blessings and spiritual riches of Christ.   It is always well worth the effort to seek out, secure and apply wisdom to the life.
2.  Those who are willing to rise early and make the receipt of wisdom a first priority will be given that for which he seeks…. The wisdom of God.  The Lord blesses those who seek after wisdom.  Our search to obtain wisdom shall always be rewarded with Godly riches from above.

Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.  (Psalms 91:14)


18) Riches and honour [are] with me; [yea], durable riches and righteousness.
What are some of the riches we receive as we pursue wisdom?
1.  riches – the laying up of valuables – many times worldly wealth can be accumulated with the application of wisdom.  Always the laying up of eternal rewards is assured when we find ourselves living according to the wisdom of God’s Word.
2.  honour – a good reputation with authority - when we live according to wisdom, people notice it we gain their respect and we are placed in positions of trust and responsibility. 
3.  durable riches – lasting wealth that brings contentment – with the application of wisdom, comes lasting peace and spiritual contentment from the Lord
4.  righteousness – moral virtue, aligned with the law of God – with the application of wisdom comes imputed righteousness of Christ at salvation and  also a righteous lifestyle following salvation.

Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?   (James 2:5)

Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them [but] dung, that I may win Christ,  And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:  (Philippians 3:8-9)



19) My fruit [is] better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.
5.  The fruit that is naturally given forth by wisdom is more beneficial than gold that will not corrupt, nor loose value. 
6.  The profits that can be had from wisdom are more valuable than the best silver that is available.

With thy wisdom and with thine understanding thou hast gotten thee riches, and hast gotten gold and silver into thy treasures:   (Ezekiel 28:4)

20) I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment:
Wisdom’s leadership extends to:
1.  the clear well-trodden road of salvation and Godly living.
2.  there are many paths that lead to eternal death and divine punishment.  Wisdom takes us down the path of righteousness which never contacts any one of the many paths that will bring destruction upon an individual.  The only way to walk on a path of judgment is by forsaking the path of righteousness.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.  Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou [art] the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.   (Psalms 25:4-5)

21) That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.
Wisdom is used by Christ to bring blessings upon His people.  Living wise lives, motivated by a love for Christ, will bring:
1. that which is received through death – it is though the death of Christ that we receive all our physical and spiritual blessings.   These blessings become ours at our salvation and thereafter.
2. overflow their storage places – Our cup runneth over throughout our life on earth as we are faithful to Him, He blesses us beyond measure.

For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.   (Hebrews 10:34)

Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,  To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,  Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.  (1 Peter 1:3-5)

SUMMARY:
The many blessings that accrue to us as we apply the Word of God to our life is immeasurable.  There is one thing we can know for sure… It is ALWAYS well worth it for us to seek and apply wisdom to our lives. 


By God’s grace, let us all study these proverbs diligently, giving them the value that they deserve.

May the Lord bless us as we receive this sound wisdom and then “Think On These Things”.




No comments:

Post a Comment