Sunday, September 29, 2013

“SIH’s Think On These Things: Proverbs 9:4-6”


He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous (Prov 2:7)

A Grand Comparison: Wisdom Is To Be Chosen; Foolishness Is To Be Forsaken: Prov 9:4-6

4) Whoso [is] simple, let him turn in hither: [as for] him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
5) Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine [which] I have mingled.
6) Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.


INTRODUCTION:
In these next proverbs, we will find that Solomon uses our openness to wisdom and foolishness to form his next comparison….  


EXPOSITION:
4) Whoso [is] simple, let him turn in hither: [as for] him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
This aspect of wisdom’s invitation is meant for:
1. the “simple” (the easily persuaded, impressionable)
2. those that “wanteth understanding”  (desire the ability to discern truth from error)

Her invitation contains 4 basic elements:
1. exit from your current path to my place of instruction

Thy testimonies [are] wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them.  The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.  I opened my mouth, and panted: for I longed for thy commandments.   (Psalms 119:129-131)


5) Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine [which] I have mingled.
2. once you arrive, partake of the nourishment that was prepared for your benefit.

Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.  Wherefore do ye spend money for [that which is] not bread? and your labour for [that which] satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye [that which is] good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.  Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, [even] the sure mercies of David.   (Isaiah 55:1-3)

6) Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
3.  let loose and leave behind those who are easily deceived and misled.  In doing so, embrace the message that leads to eternal spiritual life and a fulfilling physical life on earth
4. begin to walk along the path of true discernment and understanding.

Thou [art] my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.  Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God. Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.   (Psalms 119:114-116)

SUMMARY:

What a wonderful blessing it is to be invited to partake of the instruction of Wisdom!  What great benefits await those who understand that wisdom is to be desired and sought after while foolishness is to be forsaken and left behind.
 
By God’s grace, let us all study these proverbs diligently, giving them the value that they deserve.

May the Lord bless us as we receive this sound wisdom and then “Think On These Things”.




No comments:

Post a Comment