Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Meditate On The Word Of God

In our previous blog entry we looked at the Bible teachings about the role of mediation in the life of a Christian.  One of the most important subjects we are to meditate upon is His Word.  







In this blog posting, I would like to look at some of the benefits that can be attained when we meditate on the Word of the Lord.

THE SCRIPTURES:

Joshua 1:1-9

1) Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,2) Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, [even] to the children of Israel.3) Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.4) From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.5) There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, [so] I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.6) Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them.7) Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it [to] the right hand or [to] the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.8) This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.9) Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God [is] with thee whithersoever thou goest.

THE STUDY:

Joshua 1:1-9 picks up following the 40 year travels of the nation ofIsraelin the wilderness following their deliverance from the Egyptian Empire. Moses, and the generation of unbelieving Israelites have died, leaving Joshua to now led a new generation, who by faith, had been prepared by God to take possession of the promised land.

In our text, as Joshua is being commissioned to lead the Israelites, we find the importance and the benefits of meditating on God’s Word…

Josh 1

1) Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,  Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, [even] to the children of Israel.

Here, we find Joshua being called to lead the children of Israel after the death of His mentor, Moses.  The mission that Moses had failed to accomplish (the entrance of Israel into the promised land) was now Joshua’s undertaking. 

3) Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses. 4) From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.

5) There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, [so] I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

Joshua would not only accept the responsibilities and mission that had been given to Moses, but He would also share in the  blessings and victories as well.     Joshua, by faith would trust in the Lord’s promises of victory and deliverance of the promised land.  The Lord graciously reassures Joshua that He would have the same relationship as He had with Moses.  The Lord would protect Joshua, commune with Joshua, and never leave Joshua. 

6) Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them.

7) Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it [to] the right hand or [to] the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.

The Lord now calls Joshua to take hold of these challenges with faith knowing he is equipped and accompanied by the Lord.  He desired Joshua to be empowered and stand strong in the face of his enemies, knowing that his God would bring him the victory. 

8) This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

9) Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God [is] with thee whithersoever thou goest.

How could Joshua cultivate the type of faith that would be needed to led the Israelite nation into the many battles necessary to take the promised land?  By meditation on the Word of God!   Through undistracted times of concentration and examination of His Word, Joshua would find the source of strength and faith he needed to meet the challenges of each new day.  Here are some of the blessings Joshua would receive through meditation on the Word of God:

  1. He would be able to retain the Word in his life.  This would allow him to make the Godly choices of living and ministering through both his words (shalt not depart out of thy mouth) and his actions (thou mayest observe to do).

  2. He would experience spiritual prosperity (make they way prosperous) and success (have good success) in completing God’s will for his life

  3. He would be spiritually strengthened (be strong) to oppose fleshly and worldly temptations.

  4. He would be courageous and not fearful (of good courage, be not afraid), thinking about his great Lord and the promises the Lord gave to him.

  5. He would have spiritual clarity in his thinking and understanding (be not dismayed).  He would be able to see the trials of each day through the filter of God’s word.  He would see each days events through the eyes of the Lord. 

  6. In general, through meditation on the Word, Joshua would receive the appropriate equipment he needed to fulfill his God-given responsibilities to lead Israel.


PRACTICAL APPLICATION:

For those who are saved…

A Christian’s need to meditate on His Word cannot be overestimated.  To remain faithful in the midst of a world that is opposed to the Lord, we must retain our intimacy with the Lord thru His Word.  Our minds should always be upon Him and His desires for us…   

Ps 119:14-16 (KJV)

14) I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as [much as] in all riches.15) I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.16) I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

For those who have never received His gracious salvation into our lives…

By meditating on His Word and His intervention, you too can become acquainted with His desires.  The first desire for your life is to recognize your need of salvation, turn from your sins and come trusting in Him as your Saviour and accepting Him as Lord of your life.

John 6:32-48 (KJV)

32) Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. 33) For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. 34) Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. 35) And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.  36) But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.  37) All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.  38) For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. 39) And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.  40) And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. 41) The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven. 42) And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?  43) Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves. 44) No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.45) It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. 46) Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.  47) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. 48) I am that bread of life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------


To see this lesson taught on video please go to my Video Blog at  http://www.youtube.com/settledinheaven

If you have any questions concerning this blog, or if you have a subject you would like discussed, please feel free to email me at settledinheaven@gmail.com.    I will answer all emails via my blog, email, or both.

Take A Look At My Wife’s Artistic/Scriptural Devotion Blog http://alivewithchristart.blogspot.com

Follow my Squidoo Instructional Lens “Presenting God’s Grace” “The Solemn Obligation To Present the Doctrines of Grace to the Lost and Saved Alike” http://www.squidoo.com/presenting-gods-grace

 May the Lord bless your study of His Word.  Like God’s Word… may your soul’s salvation and your life’s faithfulness be “Settled in Heaven.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 comments:

  1. [...] FROM Deliverance Ministry source http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/meditate-on-the-word-of-god/ #family movie -THE LAMP- one family's loss shows them how to turn to Faith instead of magic [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. The importance of reading, meditating on and memorising the Word cannot be overstated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] FROM Spiritual Battles source http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/meditate-on-the-word-of-god/ #family movie -THE LAMP- one family's loss shows them how to turn to Faith instead of magic [...]

    ReplyDelete