1Pet 1:18-19 (KJV)
18) Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, [as] silver and gold, from your vain conversation [received] by tradition from your fathers;
19) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
The great price of our redemption is clearly declared to us in our text for this morning. Our redemption is not based upon any price that we might pay (silver, gold etc.) but it is based upon something of far greater value… the shed blood of Christ.
The blood of Christ is far more precious than all the silver and gold that this world has to offer. Why is this? It is because of the great sacrifice that was involved in this shedding of blood. Please keep in mind for Christ’s blood to be shed on Calvary’s cross there was a series of unparalleled sacrifices that had to be made by Christ:
1. Christ had to come to earth as fleshly man (Roms 8:3-4)
2. Christ had to humble Himself, choosing to not exercise His Godly attributes as He lived life on earth. (Phil 2:6-7)
3. Christ had to allow Himself to be temptedand yet live a perfect life in the midst of a sinful world (Heb 4:14-16)
4. Christ had to submit to earthly authorities as they shamed, tried, and convicted Him for sins that He did not commit. (1 Peter 3:18)
5. Christ had to take upon Himself the sin of His people, experiencing the punishment of these sins while He hung on the cross. The greatest of these punishments was separation from His heavenly Father. (1 Pet 2:23-25)
6. Christ had to be willing to die in the place of those He loved so that they might find life in Him. (Phil 2:6-8)
These are just a few of the many sacrifices that were made by Christ on our behalf. And this is why His blood is described as “precious”, the cost upon Christ was great… so great that there is no work we can do, no possession we can give, that would begin to repay Him for the sacrifices He has made for His people (1 Pet 1:18-19). Yet despite His great cost, He offers this redemption freely to any who might receive it through repentance and faith in Him and His work.
For those of us who are the recipients of His gracious, precious redemption let’s keep in mind… the extent of His sacrifices for us can never be fully comprehended this side of heaven. Therefore, when He opens us an opportunity to give of ourselves for Him and those around us, let us joyfully do so realizing it is only reasonable that we do so (Heb 10:19-24). We have been called to sacrifice ourselves for Him.
For those who have never partaken of His gracious redemption, please keep in mind, it is only through the graces of repentance (changing our mind about our sin and turning from that sin to Christ) and faith (believing on His person and trusting in His work) that we can have His redemption freely given to you… (Acts 3:19, John 3:16)
May the Lord bless us as we “Think On These Things”.
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: firstname.lastname@example.org