Mark 9:41-50 (KJV)
43) And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
44) Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
45) And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
46) Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
47) And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
48) Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
For this series we will use this very simple outline:
1. vs 41-42 – Evidences of genuine salvation
2. vs 43-48 – Importance of genuine salvation
3. vs 49-50 – Absolute necessity of genuine salvation
Our text uses the eternal wrath of God as a motivating force to drive each of us to make sure we have been saved. But there are many who question the existence of the Lake of Fire. When the literal existence of the Lake of Fire is disputed, it becomes an issue of believing God’s Word. The place of eternal torment of the lost is described many different times in the Bible in many varying ways. Here is a small sampling….
1. A place of fire and worms – Mark 9:43-48
The garbage dumps outside Jerusalem had fires burning and worms feeding on the garbage. This is used as a picture for the Lake of Fire where the fire (punishment) and the worms (corruption and decay) exist forever.
2. A place of torment and fire – Luke 16:23-24
This is mentioned in the account of the rich man and Lazarus. The eternal dwelling of the rich man was in fire and torments, motivating him to beg for the gospel to be taken to members of his family still living on earth.
See also Lake Of Fire – Rev 19:-20: …. The Burning Flame – Dan 7:11 …. Furnace Of Fire – Matt 13:42 …. Everlasting Fire – Matt 25:41
3. A place prepared for devil and fallen angels (demons) – Matt 25:41
Sinful beings will be judged eternally in the Lake of Fire, this includes lost mankind and the other sinful spiritual beings of this world.
4. Hell from beneath – Isa 14:9
The Lake of Fire is located beneath the earth’s crust.
See also Lowest Hell – Deut 32:22…. Place “under the earth” – Rev 5:13
5. A prison – 1 Peter 3:19, Rev 20:1-3 –
It is designed to hold lost makind, Satan and demons. It is a prison because it restrains them, not allowing them to effect God’s creation any longer.
See also The Pit – Rev 9:2
According to scholars, there are 162 references to the Lake of Fire found in the NT alone. For someone to claim that the Lake of Fire does not exist they must deny the clear multiple declaration of Scriptures.
May the Lord bless us as we “Think On These Things”.
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: firstname.lastname@example.org