[Please note: This morning we are looking at a series on “Setting Life’s Priorities”. For this series we will be looking at the following four Scriptures as main texts (several other texts will be referred to during our study)…
1. Eccl 6:7 (KJV) All the labour of man [is] for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
2. John 6:26-27 (KJV) Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled. Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
3. 1Tim 6:6-8 (KJV) But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into [this] world, [and it is] certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
4. 2Pet 3:11-14 (KJV) [Seeing] then [that] all these things shall be dissolved, what manner [of persons] ought ye to be in [all] holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
In my way of seeing things, one of the greatest needs in the world today is the need for each of us to come to an understanding of what is really important in life and beginning to seek those things above all others. May the Lord bless each one of us with knowledge, understanding, and wisdom as we attempt to come to an understanding of this very important subject.]
In our final devotional of this series we will be looking at 2 Peter 3:11-14. The portions of this text we will be centering on is “Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? “ and “Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless”. The main theme for us is “considering the future when assigning priorities to our lives”.
In this text, when we consider the promise our Lord has given to us concerning His second coming and end-time events, we find two a very basic promise: the total annihilation of the things of this sinful fallen world… “wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?”
What should our response be to this future promise given by God Himself? We are to devalue the things of this world and make the sure that our Lord’s desires for us become the center of our life’s priorities… “Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless”
To summarize our series there are four basic principles to apply as we seek to prioritize our life’s goals….
1. We are told that we are to live our life for that which brings us lasting satisfaction and fulfillment. (Eccl 6:7)
2. One step in achieving this goal is to ask the question “Does this labor I am about to undertake have any lasting, spiritual value?” (John 6:26-27)
3. Another step in setting our life’s examples involves recognizing the role of contentment in both the spiritual and physical aspects of our lives. Our need is to be content with our spiritual blessings and our physical needs being supplied to us. (1 Tim 6:6-8)
4. The final principle to take into account as we set our life’s priorities is to remember the future promises of God. This sinful fallen world and the things in it will be destroyed. Therefore, we are to set our eyes on devaluing the things of this world, and placing the Lord’s desires for us in the forefront of our minds. (2 Peter 3:11-14)
May the Lord help each one of us to set the right priorities in life and become lights shining in the midst of a sin darkened world. May the Lord bless us as we “Think On These Things”.
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: firstname.lastname@example.org