Monday, March 12, 2012

SIH’s Think On These Things: Matt 5:11-12



(Mat 5:11-12) Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

In our previous beatitude, we saw that one reason to be happy in persecution is that it is proof that Christ is reigning in our lives and that we will, someday, enter into His eternal presence and kingdom.   In this beatitude we are told of two other reasons we should consider ourselves blessed when we face suffering for His sake.

Here, we are told that when we are mocked (reviled), pursued (persecuted), and lied about (shall say… falsely), due to our stand for Christ, we should be happy because: firstly, we will receive rewards that will honor Christ throughout eternity; and, secondly, we will be included with those like Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Daniel who, in times past, have suffered for faithfully proclaiming His Word.

What a blessing it is to know that when we bear our “cross” for Christ, He will not forget.  He will reward us and include us with others who have been willing to give of themselves for Him!

This is one mark of a person who has been blessed by God and is living a happy life in Him. Does today’s verse describe your life? Do you have lasting peace and happiness in Christ? If not, trust in Christ and follow Him. He makes us a promise “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.”

May the Lord bless each one of us as we “Think On These Things”.

SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org

SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/

SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/

SIH Email: settledinheaven@gmail.com

10 comments:

  1. I am finding this Lenten Season that the more I am "shunned" or "reviled" for my Christian walk, the more inner peace I have! Such a mysterious moving of the Holy Spirit, I often think. Bless you for this series from the Beatitudes, Pastor Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful testimony you have... what a blessing it is to be able to have peace in the midst of persecution! Lord continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was just reading about this kind of suffering today as being part-and-parcel to our commitment to Christ. Badge of honor, to be sure...


    "What a blessing it is to know that when we bear our “cross” for Christ, He will not forget. He will reward us and include us with others who have been willing to give of themselves for Him!"

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we are 'reviled' for our beliefs and witness, it hurts! It hurts our sensitivity. It hurts our self-pride. But . . . we know the peace and joy that comes with obeying the Lord and we know and experience His joy - and the hurt lessens. We count it a privilege to be used by Him and nothing else matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, as I follow granbee around blog land, I find I have to second her comments! :) I was thinking the same thing, Rob, as I read your post and was so thankful for how you were encouraging us even during persecution . . .that it's that peace that passes understanding that happens and allows us to persevere and glorify His name.
    God bless you as you think on Him and help us to too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no doubt about it... if we take a stand for our Lord, at times, we will be going against the standards and morals of the world. In doing so, we will be opening ourselves up to ridicule and abuse. Lord bless you. Thank you for your commments

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN... "We count it a privilege to be used by Him and nothing else matters." I couldnt have said it better, you are so right! Lord bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie,

    Thank you for the encouraging words... we all need building up from time to time as we seek to do His will here on earth. What a blessing it is to know that there are other Christians who are serving Him in the face of abuse and criticism.... Thank you for the stand you are taking for our Lord! Lord bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Rob! I guess I'm an odd ball. but I have been blessed with attitude ( I say that lightly) because I don't let people shun me. LOL! I'm one of those who, when people start shunning or mocking me, it makes me kind of aggravated, because they aren't doing it to me, they are doing it to Christ within me. Therefore, I stand and defend Him. I come right back with scripture and explain to them what the Bible says, about those who mock and blaspheme. I then witness to them the joy of the Lord and why I am like I am. Therefore, I kind of look at the "world's attitude" toward me as a blessing, because it brings out that special vigor for Christ and opens the door to help others understand better.

    God Bless,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMEN to your attitude about the oppostion to your faith. That is what is needed to not shrink but stand up in a kind and loving way for the Lord and all He has done for you. Your attitude is a great encouragement to me PJ. Lord bless you.

    ReplyDelete