1Cor 6:19-20 (KJV)
19) What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20) For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
Our next set of devotions comes from 1 Cor 6:19-20. The basic principle of this study will be “Glorifying God With All Our Being”. Before looking at these verses, phrase by phrase, it is important for us to notice the context in which these verses are written.
The Apostle Paul is writing these verses to the church at Corinth. The city of Corinth was one of the main centers for shipping, trade and commerce. Because of this Corinth was filled with a great mixture of people of different languages, nationalities, religions and occupations. As such, the city was filled with idolatry and many sinful practices. It was in this environment that the church at Corinth existed. The sins of the surrounding community crept into the church at Corinth. Some of the main sins included…
1. Divisions and lawsuits between members of the assembly (chap 1-4 & 6)
2. Sexual Immorality (chap 5)
3. Ungodly Lifestyles (chap 6)
4. Breaking Marital Vows (chap 7)
5. Misusing Christian Liberty (chap 8-10)
6. Rebellion To God’s Authority (chap 11, 14)
7. Abusing Lord’s Supper (chap 11)
8. Misusing Spiritual Gifts (chap 12-14)
9. Teaching of Heresies (chap 15)
In other words, this church was in a real mess. These sins had resulted in the church’s loss of testimony and effectiveness for the cause of Christ.
In the epistle of 1 Corinthians, we can see the wonderful patience, and gentleness of our Lord shown to them through Paul’s ministry. Instead of “writing them off” and raising up another church (which He could have easily done!); the Lord continued to instruct them, correct them and rebuke them. Based upon 2 Corinthians, we find that the letter of 1 Corinthians was a success, working to rid the church of many of these sins. (2 Cor 1:12-14) This church had gone from backsliding to service, all through the Lord’s application of His Word to their lives.
As a child of God, do you feel as if your past, or present, sins eliminate you from glorifying the Lord in your life? Just like this church was restored to a position of service to the Lord, so too, can be your personal life. Your sins have been covered through the shed blood of Christ. They are already forgiven. The need now is for confession and then restoration of an intimate walk with Him… 1John 1:8-10 (KJV)
8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Let us keep these things in mind as we begin our journey to “Glorify God With All Our Being.”
May the Lord bless us as we “Think On These Things”.
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: email@example.com