Friday, February 1, 2013

SIH’s Think On These Things: Isaiah 6:8

We now continue our devotional series on the two-fold calling (to salvation and to service) of Isaiah.  Remember in this series we will be looking to learn more about the One who is calling Isaiah, along with the nature of the calls and an examination of the submission to these calls by Isaiah…



Following Isaiah’s salvation, the Lord immediately calls Him to His service…



Isa 6:8  Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?...



The Lord is now addressing the needs of others who are still lost and without His forgiveness.  This is His first concern.  To send those who have partaken of His saving grace to now deliver His message to others who are lost and undone. 



Why didn’t the Lord say “Isaiah, I am sending you.  I want you to go for us.”?  This would basically restrict His call to one of obligation and necessity.  He desired for Isaiah receive His call, and consent to it, motivated by love and desire, not obligation and necessity.   



Although we are all obligated to Him to be witnesses of His work and grace (Rom 12:1), our service should not be done because “we must” ; it should be done because “we want to”. 



This is why the Psalmist could so clearly state his great desire to serve His Lord and keep His Word in Psa 119:45-48…  And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.  I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed. And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved. My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.



Folks, let us all stop and examine our motivation to serve our Lord and be witnesses of His grace.  Let’s all seek to share the same attitude that the Apostle Paul shared with us when he wrote 2 Cor 4:7-11, in the midst of great persecution for his faith….  But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.  [We are] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [we are] perplexed, but not in despair;  Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;  Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.  For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.



May the sacrifice of Christ motivate us to serve and gladly suffer for His sake as we take His gospel message to a lost and dying world..



May the Lord bless us as we “Think On These Things”.






No comments:

Post a Comment