Thursday, January 31, 2013

SIH’s Think On These Things: Isaiah 6:5-7

We now continue our devotional series on the two-fold calling (to salvation and to service) of Isaiah.  Remember in this series we will be looking to learn more about the One who is calling Isaiah, along with the nature of the calls and an examination of the submission to these calls by Isaiah…



We have just concluded our look at God’s call to salvation that He issued to Isaiah…



Isa 6:5-7  Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.  (6)  Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:  (7)  And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.



In vs 5 - we saw how the Lord prepared the lost man’s heart to receive the gospel message.  This included showing him his sinful condition and recognizing his inability to save himself from his sins.

In vs 6 - we saw the Christian, empowered by the Holy Spirit, taking the message of Christ’s sacrifice (the gospel) to the lost.

In vs 7 - we see the salvation taking place as the gospel is applied with the results of spiritual cleansing and covering of sin through the shed blood of Christ.



Keep in mind the basic order of things….

Isaiah saw God in His holiness…. This led him to recognize his sinful condition…. This led to repentance … this led to his cleansing.   



This cycle should take place repeatedly throughout the course of our lives of Christian service:

As we spend time in the Word, we see God’s holiness revealed to us on a daily basis… This should lead us to continually recognize the sin that is in our lives…. This should lead us to the confession of those sins…  This, then, leads to continual cleansing and renewal of our intimate walk with Him. 



This is the very principle taught to us in 1 John 1:9 – “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Contextually, this is one of several marks John is giving to us that show we have had a genuine salvation experience.   If we do not see (or care about) the sin that is in our lives, we need to seriously question whether we have experienced God’s grace in salvation.



Do we lose our salvation if we do not continually confess our sins to God?  No, when the Lord died on the cross He paid the JUDICIAL penalty of our sins past, present and future.  Why, then, must we continually confess our sins to the Lord?  It is an issue of retaining an intimate walk with Him.  Unconfessed sin in the life of a Christian hinders our walk with Christ, thus hindering our spiritual growth and separation to His service.   



Think of it like this…. When I was young, at times, I disobeyed my parents.  When I disobeyed I still was a member of my family, but until I confessed my sin to my parents things were not the same between us.  I felt guilt and recognized I had failed and hurt them.  It was harder for me to talk to them.  It was these feelings that hindered my relationship with them.  



In much the same way, our sin hinders our relationship with our heavenly Father.  That is why He will even go to the extreme of chastening to bring me back to Him (Heb 12:5-11) He desires to have a close relationship with His children.  We should desire the same.



May we all see His holiness, be recipients of His grace, and forever enjoy a close walk with Him through the confession of our sins.



May the Lord bless us as we “Think On These Things”.




No comments:

Post a Comment