Monday, February 27, 2012

SIH’s Think On These Things: Matt 5:3a

(Mat 5:3-12)  Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.  Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.  Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.


As we begin our devotions on the Beatitudes, let’s keep in mind the basic theme of our text, it is describing 9 different characteristics of people that are “blessed”.  What do we mean by “blessed”?  The Greek word for “blessed” is describing a person who has received God’s goodness which results in the recipient’s happiness.

We should take a moment today to ask ourselves a question… Are we living a genuinely happy (blessed) life?

If so, we should thank and praise our Lord for the many goodnesses He has given to us this day.

If not, over the next few days of our devotions, let’s pay special attention to what the Word of God tells us about living a blessed life.  The beginnings of a blessed life can only be found in the Lord Jesus Christ… it is only through Him that we can find true happiness and peace.

May the Lord bless each one of us as we “Think On These Things”.

SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org

SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/

SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/

SIH Email: settledinheaven@gmail.com

16 comments:

  1. "The beginnings of a blessed life can only be found in the Lord Jesus Christ… it is only through Him that we can find true happiness and peace." This is so true Rob. So often we go about seeking happiness from our circumstances. But circumstances however comfortable cannot produce true happiness or joy (certainly not lasting happiness or joy). Thanks for reminding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jelillie,

    Thank you for the kind words... No one knows true peace apart from our Lord. Not only peace knowing we are forgiven of our sins, but also peace in the midst of a sin sick world. "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."
    Lord bless you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rob! Amen! I love the Beatitudes!
    They really make me check my spirit when I read them.
    God Bless,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. PJ,

    Thats a great way to look at the beatitudes... they certainly can be used for a quick"check-up" for each of us! Lord bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rob! Thank you for your explanation about the verses in Colossians. I don't know why, but I just could not wrap my head around what he was saying. I sort of had an idea, but as I said, I couldn't figure out what my spirit was crying out to say and Paul's verses had in common. I just hope it made sense to someone. I had prayed before I started the post, so I know that is what God was wanting me to say. Like my Pastor says, sometimes when he preaches, his message may be reaching out to a specific person who he has no idea of what their need is. I'm hoping this is the case for that post.
    God Bless,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pj, I know how you feel alot of times I find a set of verses that I need to think and pray about for quite awhile before they come to me. To this day there are some I still havent come to. I'm know your postings are a blessing to me and I'm sure they are to others also. This post is no exception. Lord bless you PJ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of these days I will learn to type. I meant "encouraging"

    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rob! Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We are having revival at our church and I just got home a little while ago. Thank you for your eoncouraging reply. As you have told me before, you may use any part of my writings any time you like, including my poem. I was so excited about what the Lord gave me after reading your post, I forgot to give it a title! LOL!
    God Bless you and yours,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to going through the Beautitudes with you! Thank you and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PJ Thank you very much... Lord bless

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praising God is the beginning of all joy in my life; so I know you are very wise in encouraging us so strongly to think always on the wonders of our God in order to lead a blessed life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. >> "Are we living a genuinely happy life?"
    I'm pleased the word "genuinely" is in there. Happiness is usually associated with circumstances and "now" and is variable in an instant, but *genuine* happiness (blessedness) is vastly different. I can be "happy" even when I am grieved or troubled in any way. Truly the peace and blessings of God pass all understanding, but when we know the REALITY of them, we are thankful.

    Looking forward to this series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your kind words. I am so thankful for any wisdom the Lord might have given to me. Apart from His gracious intervention in my life and the wisdom He gives, I know nothing. Lord bless you

    ReplyDelete
  14. True "happiness" and "joy" transcends the ciricumstances that we face in this world. Why is this? It is because that true JOy and happiness are rooted in the Lord Jesus. He never changes, therefore any joy or happiness that is founded on Him never changes as well. Thansk for another great comment. Lord bless you.

    ReplyDelete